CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Need Suggestions

My wonderful husband, who has 13 college games to officiate every weekend this fall, has been awarded his first game in Orlando! How excited am I?! So we put off a family vacation this summer in order to go to Disney World while he is there officiating. We have known about this for about 2 months now and have booked flights, rooms, tickets, etc. Now here is the amazing part........we have not told the kids! (If for some reason any of you see or talk to my kids, please don't mention Disney. They think we are going to go next summer.) We decided to keep it a surprise, just in case something happened and Chad wouldn't be able to officiate, but it looks like everything is going to be fine. I love surprises, actually coming up with surprises, so has not been as difficult as it might seem.

I know this sounds terrible, but we are not taking Easton. I have fretted over this decision from the beginning and have had a few sleepless nights just thinking about leaving him behind. There are several reasons that led to our decision not to bring him, mainly that he is terrified of going. He screams and cries anytime he sees someone dressed in a costume. He doesn't like to go to Chad's arena games because the mascot, Radar (who looks like Cookie Monster), absolutely petrifies him. I just don't feel like he will enjoy himself worrying about what character is going to be coming around the corner at WDW all the time. Also, Chad will not be with us at the parks for a couple of the days and I want my big kids to be able to ride and do all the stuff they want to and Easton won't be big enough to do most of the stuff they can do. I will need to stay with him and I don't feel comfortable letting the other kids go by themselves without Chad or myself with them. Anyway, with all that said, we aren't taking Easton, as heavy as that makes my heart.


Suggestion time: Since we haven't told the kids we are going, I need a fantastic way to surprise them with the news. I'm drawing a blank. We will be driving 2 hours to the airport and then on to Orlando from there. They know that Chad has a game in Memphis(they just don't know it isn't until Sept.), so they will just think we are going there to stay in a hotel and go to Chad's game. They have never been on a plane, so the plane ride itself will be as exciting as going to Disney for them. I'm not sure if I should tell them once we get to the airport, or after we are in the air, or maybe even before we get there. I debated on making shirts saying "I'm going to Disney World" and having them put them on at the airport, but I would love a better idea. Chad wants to wait until we get to Disney and let them figure it out themselves once they see the signs, but we won't arrive in Orlando until 10:30 pm and I just thought that would be way too much excitement before we need to get to bed. There's a lot of imagination out there, so give me your ideas! If you have more than one idea, give all of them to me. I might use a combination of ideas. We leave in less than 2 weeks! Thanks!!!

3 comments:

Tina said...

When we suprised our kids with a trip for Christmas I wrapped up a box filled with Disney things, like stickers, a Mickey Mouse key chain and several things I found at the Dollar Tree. Then inside the lid of the box I wrote, "Suprise we're going to Disney World". I've also heard of having someone call your kids pretending to be a Disney character to tell them. Hmmm... I'll think more and let you know if I have anymore bright ideas.

The Laird's said...

That is sooo much fun! You could make a special package to give them in there carry on, and they can't open it until they get on the plane. And put lots of fun little disney things in it. Mickey cookies, pens, paper. Or if you could find some Mickey ears, they could wear them on the plane. Let us know what you decide, and ya'll have a great time!

heather said...

Maybe instead of a fortune cookie,they can have fortune peanuts! You and could slip a little piece of paper into each of their peanut bags. You could do it on the plane really quick or make your own little bags to take on the plane.